Tuesday, February 5, 2013

If I knew how to post a photo...



... I would post a shot of the little post-war red brick house that will shortly be laid gently to rest (read: demolished) to make way for the Homemade House. No such luck tonight, so instead I will report that today I made a foray into the back blocks of that factory district of sunny Bayswater North for a kitchen design consultation. I went armed with my secret weapon - the benefit of a very professional kitchen designer's input. It's a beautiful design but I just know the cabinetry company she represents will most likely produce an estimate that will greatly shorten our life expectancy. So my cunning plan was to take her concept (which we paid for and own) to other suppliers for a little price comparison. 

It was quite a lovely morning with two older gentlemen with whom I traversed a whole range of topics during the 2 hours I spent watching one of them gently clicking his way through an ancient piece of kitchen planning software. We covered the 21 year army career of one, including escapades with nurses and a particularly indistinct night out drinking in Sydney which resulted in him waking up inexplicably in Taree.

Then I discovered that the other one lurking in the background is originally from Detroit! He migrated here in 1972 from Grosse Pointe ( and he called ME a snob for having lived in Bloomfield Hills - ha!). This guy used to work for a block buster as a young man and by that I don't mean a video store. Google it if you are interested to learn more about racism being used for commercial advantage. He assured me he is a different person now. Of course there was a girl involved in that  migration tale so we spent some time discussing all these matters until it was time for me to scamper away to the next adventure. 

Did I leave with any kind of kitchen design from them? No.

Did I progress the cause today? Hmmm...possibly not. But I did enjoy their company.

No comments:

Post a Comment