Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Friend, Romans, Countrymen

So last Wedsnesday I almost finished writing a great post about "stuff tradesmen say" but got distracted and sadly it didn't auto-save so here we are. 

Test pattern.

Might get back to that one.

In the meantime, this :



That's the house when the top deck of scaffolding was taken down. It seems timely in this week post-Federal election to mention that not only did the scaffolders not take my instructions seriously over the phone (calling twice to confirm) but they turned up on site Monday  hoping to catch "the builder" to confirm prior to works on Tuesday. Sigh. Hello boys, I am the builder - please do my bidding.

I am a builder of "calibre" after all.

Then some unsuspecting suppliers turned up to do a rough-in for a particular service that I shall not name because I am awfully nice and not willing to burn them in hell just yet.

What did they do? They helped themselves to the 20 x 3 metres lengths of timber I had just had Captain Laird deliver there at great effort for the carpenter. They told their boss they used 6 lengths - which was actually 15 lengths. I say they are unsuspecting because the lolly-providing, sweetness and light lady of the house was handed the perfect excuse to unleash her angst upon them. 

"You should tell them off!" goaded the chippies.

"Don't worry, I am taking them out the back!" I retorted.

 And thus it was so.

Meanwhile, chippies sat eating Ritz crackers and saying mid-afternoon that they had needed that timber  this very today. So how about actually saying something to me then when I was there earlier?

Dashed to Bunnings with Baby B in tow, narrowly saving her from decapitation by another "Don't be so reckless" tradie with a large pole. Like a scene out of Matrix, it was. I felled him with my steely gaze and promised further fear and retribution drawing on my Shaolin Monk training, circa 2007.

Then I stomped back to the building site to deliver my "don't mess me around " speech to the chippies who attempted to appease me with a look at their bolts, and when that didn't work tried to distract me with the air con guys' conduit. But I was ready for them, not only defending the conduit but determined to get all knobs right where I wanted them.

Ahem.














No comments:

Post a Comment